World Language Proficiency Credits

Students who speak a language other than English have the opportunity to earn up to four high school credits by demonstrating their proficiency in reading, writing, listening, and speaking in that language.


This year, the Edmonds School District will be offering two testing opportunities for students to take this assessment: April 25 and May 16. This test is available for students in grades 7-12 and is free for students currently registered in the Edmonds School District. 

World Language Assessments Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Registration/Before Test Day

Q: Who can earn World Language Credit-by-Proficiency?
A: Any middle or high school student with strong skills in reading, writing, speaking, and listening in a language other than English can earn credit. Students using American Sign Language may also earn credit. Students need to complete a self-assessment of their skills before testing, and get parent permission.

Q: Can I take the test if I’m not a native speaker?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I take the test if I am an ELL student?
A: Yes. ELL students are encouraged to take the test. However, we strongly recommend students take the test when they are at an intermediate or advanced level of English language skill - this is because the test instructions will all be in English, making the test challenging for a beginning ELL student.

Q: What languages can I earn credit in?
A: Any language that has written and spoken forms, as well as American Sign Language.

Q: How many high school credits can I earn?
A: One – Four (1-4)

Q: Can I earn credit in more than one language?
A: Yes, though the school district will only pay for one assessment. Students may arrange to pay for additional assessments.

Q: How much does testing cost?
A: The first language test comes at no cost to the student. If a student chooses to retest the following academic year, there will be a fee based on the cost of the assessment.

Q: What happens if I don’t do well on the test?
A: There is no negative posting on transcripts or other records. 

Q: Can I test more than once?
A: Students can opt to retest, at their own cost, in the following academic year.

Q: How do I register for the test?
A: To register, students will attend an information session, complete a self-assessment, get parent permission, and then complete a simple registration form. This will happen across the high school campuses, and be advertised at the school. Students must attend the information session, and turn in parent permission in order to test. 

Q: When can I test?
A: The process will be offered at one of our district high schools twice in the spring of 2015. 

Q: How do I decide if I should take the test?
A: During or after the information sessions, you will complete a self-assessment that will help you identify your proficiency level. If your level is high enough, and you want to earn the credit, you are encouraged to take the test. 

Q: Where is there information about the laws and procedures that allow for World Language Credit-by-Proficiency in Washington?
A: Please visit the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction's website.

Test Day

Q: What is the test like? 
A: The test varies depending on language. Some tests are completed on the computer. Others are partially completed on the computer, and have written component. Some are all paper/pencil. All the tests also include a speaking and/or listening component, as well as reading and writing assessments. For French, German, and Spanish you can take a practice assessment online. For other languages, you will learn about the assessment during the information session. 

Q: Where does testing happen? 
A: The process will be offered at one of our district high schools twice in the spring of 2015.

Q: How can I get help to develop my language skills?
A: You can practice your skills by reading things you enjoy in the languages you learning, as well as finding opportunities to write – letters, email, blogging, etc…. You can also practice your speaking skills with friends and families that speak the language. In some cases, you may be able to find opportunities in the community to study the language.

Q: How can I continue learning languages? 
A: Talk to your counselor about options in your school that would work for in your schedule. 

Q: What if I already took classes in and earned credit in the language I am testing in?
A: Additional credit for proficiency earned at the high school level will only be awarded for levels above the credit already earned. If you have earned credit for content-based language courses, for example - Spanish for Native Speakers, any credits earned via this program will be in addition to credits you have earned, up to a total of four credits.

Q: What if I am taking a French 2 class in school but test in Spanish and receive four credits? 
A: You can earn credits for both languages. In this case, you would earn two credits of French (for French 1 and French 2) and then four credits for Spanish, for a total of six. 

After Testing

Q: What kind of credit will this generate?
A: Elective credits will be generated, with a unique course names that indicate the language, level, and that it was earned through proficiency.

Q: When will credits be posted to my transcript? 
A: Processing test results can take 8-12 weeks.

Q: Do students in 7th and 8th grade automatically have the credits placed on their transcript? 
A: No. They will need to fill out form P-174 by their junior year credit review and submit it to their counselor in order to receive the credit.

Q: Will this affect my GPA?
A: Because proficiency credit does not have a “grade,” it is GPA-neutral.

Q: Will earning language credits via the Credit by Proficiency Program be considered on college applications?
A: Having your language proficiency noted on your high school transcript is a valuable addition to any college application. However, colleges and universities determine their own policies about accepting credits attained through one of these assessments for either entrance to the school or placement in language courses. Students should check with their desired college or university to learn more about their policies regarding these credits.

For more information, please contact Sarah Schumacher, Manager of Secondary Education, (425) 431-7341. 
Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.