To be eligible to attend the IB program at EWHS, students must reside within the boundaries of the Edmonds School District.
There are three pathways into the EWHS IB Program:
1. If the student lives in the EWHS service area, there are no additional requirements. Counselors visit eighth-grade classrooms, and students register for as many IB classes as they wish to take, including the full-IB program:
- To more easily identify these students and support them in the registration process, fill out the IB Program application.
2. Students who have previously been identified as "gifted" by the Edmonds School District - and are currently participating in the Challenge Program at Brier Terrace Middle School - will receive an email notification in the fall from the district office. That email links to a High School Selection Form, and gifted students simply select the EWHS IB Program as their high school choice. If you are the parent of a current student in the Hi-Cap program, please contact the Highly Capable office at ESC for the link, if you have not received it by the fall.
3. Students who live in the Lynnwood HS, Meadowdale HS, or Mountlake Terrace HS service area:
- fill in a short EWHS IB Program application
- sign up for the district-administered Cognitive Ability Test (CoGAT) in eighth grade.
The application - and the student's complete academic history and test scores - are evaluated by a team at EWHS to recommend enrollment at EWHS.
If you are interested in learning more information about the IB Program at EWHS, please explore this site and contact Mr. Wellington with questions. We always host at least two presentations for parents and students in the fall. On those nights, the community has the opportunity to learn more about the IB program and the IB application process.
Our 2022-23 IB Information Nights for 8th Grade Students and Families will be held on:
October 5th and November 2nd, 2022 @6:30PM held at EWHS Little Theatre
Recording and presentation will be available on this site.