Although our students have grown up in a digitally infused world and they can navigate around it fairly easily, they still rely on the adults in their lives to teach them about their technology rights and responsibilities. Learning to evaluate bias and accuracy on websites or shifting from being consumers of technology to using it for productivity and creation are more challenging skills that they need to be taught.
Our goal is to ensure that all of our students learn to become positive, productive virtual digital citizens who understand how to be safe, responsible, and respectful online.
When students accept a Chromebook from the district they are agreeing to abide by the district's Acceptable Use Policy (AUP). Student's are required to agree to this policy each year that they use a Chromebook in our district.
Here is the text of the Acceptable Use Policy they are agreeing to. The full text of the district policy is linked at the bottom of the page:
I am a student in the Edmonds school district and I have been loaned a laptop from the district to be used for school-related work.
In accepting that laptop I understand that I am agreeing to the following policies:
- I will care for my device and to the best of my ability will try to return it in the same shape as I received it.
- I will keep my personal information private or only share it with a trusted adult.
- I will change my password at least once a year and keep my password private.
- I will only log onto a computer with my own log-in credentials and never to someone else's account.
- If I see inappropriate information/pictures online I will turn off my monitor/close my Chromebook and report it to my teacher or another school adult.
- I will not attempt to defeat or bypass the district's internet filter or conceal Internet activity (e.g. through proxies, special ports, modifications to browser settings, or any other technique designed to evade the filtering).
- I will not use software or websites on my device that don't support the educational mission of my school or that are not listed as approved in Learn Platform.
- I will be respectful and responsible in my communication with others and never share information about other people without their permission.
I understand that there is no expectation of privacy while I am on a district device. The district reserves the right to monitor, inspect, copy, review and store my email, Google Drive contents, Canvas and Seesaw posts, and browser history. This includes anything I do, search, or communicate on my device or through my district Google account even if accessed from another device such as my phone. If my parent is signed up with SecURLy they can see a list of the URLs I have used.
The district reserves the right to impose disciplinary action for infractions of these policies including taking away my device for a period of time and/or restricting my internet access.
Link to view the full Acceptable Use Policy.