Health and Fitness
High School Health & Fitness Curriculum
The goal of the Health and Fitness program in the Edmonds School District is to educate students with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to make healthy lifestyle choices.
Overall program content:
- Components of Fitness: cardio-respiratory endurance, basic knowledge of fitness, body compositions, flexibility, muscular endurance, muscular strength
- Activities and safety: basic skills, lifetime activities, safety, team and individual sports, fitness planning
- Nutrition and Health: anatomy and physiology, diet/nutrition, nutrition
andperformance, health maintenance
- Health, Social, and Emotional well-being: enjoyment, goal setting, leadership
- Supplemental Materials for Parent Preview (includes OSPI and Best Practice Guidelines, approved videos, asynchronous FLASH lessons, and Question Box Suggestions)
Students are assessed on their knowledge of both health and fitness concepts and their personal fitness levels at the elementary level (5th grade), middle school level, and high school level.
The state standards for Health and Fitness can be at http://standards.ospi.k12.wa.us/.
Students hoping to gain outside credit for Physical Education must complete documentation for PE Credit:
- Documentation of Learning Packet for first half credit of Physical Education
- Documentation of Learning Packet for second half credit of Physical Education
For more information regarding Physical Education graduation requirements, please see School Board Policy 2410 and related Procedures 2410P (scroll to the "Substitution (waiver) of Physical Education Requirements" section).