Closures & Delays - Staff
Staff protocols: School closure or 2-hour delay
In the event of a snowstorm, windstorm, power outage, earthquake or other emergency event, the Edmonds School District may implement schedule changes for student and staff safety and will use multiple communication methods to inform staff and families.
The Edmonds School District will make every effort to inform families and staff of any schedule changes by 6 a.m.
- Text Message
- Phone Call (A phone message will only be sent if a text message is not received)
- ParentSquare app Push Notification
These notifications will only work if contact information is accurate in our records system, Skyward.
- District website and school websites
- Radio and television news outlets
- FlashAlert - Register to receive emergency alerts by going to this website: bit.ly/FlashAlertESD. This is the system that shares information with the media and FlashAlert subscribers.
All employees (with the exception of classroom and ESA Certificated Staff) need to report to work at their regularly scheduled time unless otherwise directed by their supervisor. The 2-hour delay is for students only. (Classroom and Certificated Staff, go to third bullet)
- Staff should be prepared in case some students arrive at the normal start time.
- We recognize circumstances can cause employees to arrive late. Appropriate leave can be utilized if necessary or supervisors can schedule make-up time as appropriate.
- Staff should review employee group procedural agreement.
School start and dismissal times:
School starts two hours after the school’s regular start time:
Buses will arrive for student pick up two hours after the regular pick up time.
School breakfast and lunch:
- School breakfast will be available 30 minutes before schools start.
- School lunch will be provided as part of the school day.
- No MORNING Move 60!
- No MORNING Edmonds Preschool or MORNING Family PreK
Your student’s childcare provider will contact you of their specific schedule and changes.
After school activities:
All student activities (i.e. after-school athletics and academic clubs) take place as scheduled unless otherwise notified.
Staff expected to report to work:
- District office employees who work in the Educational Services Center (ESC) (exclusive of teachers and other nonsupervisory certificated staff)
- Principals and assistant principals
- Building office managers
- Maintenance and grounds personnel
- Warehouse personnel
- Transportation office personnel
- Transportation shop personnel
Employees not listed above will make up the missed work days, along with students, as part of the Snow Make-up Days, which are listed below. An immediate supervisor may make changes to the list and will notify the employee(s).
If I show up for work and schools are closed, will I get paid?
If you are not listed as staff expected to report to work, you will not be paid if you show up. All staff will be notified via email, text or voice message (if you do not receive the text) as soon as the decision is made to close school for the day. If no message is given for Edmonds School District, schools are on their regular schedule.
If an individual school needs to close
The building administrator is the authorized person to make adjustments to where employees report to work during a school or site closure. The building administrator will consult with their supervisor and/or the superintendent prior to any decision to change/adjust the normal operating schedule of the site.
More details for when schools are closed for the day
- No before school programs.
- All after-school activities, all evening events at district buildings (including non-district events) are canceled.
- The district will send out a message with any calendar changes for missed school days to staff and families.
- For the 2022-23 school year, Snow Make-up Days, if needed, will be in this order:
- February 21
- June 27
- June 28
- June 29
- June 30