Spruce Elementary School
Phase 2: Project Description
Dear Spruce Elementary Families and Staff,
Thank you to the Edmonds School District community for the successful passage of the April 2021 Levy. With this positive voter-approval, we are able to proceed with the completion of Spruce Elementary School, starting with Phase 2. Before construction starts, students and staff will be moved to Former Alderwood Middle School (FAMS) alternative site for the duration of this phase. School will open at FAMS in September of 2021 and at Spruce Elementary School upon project completion in September of 2022. Working in close collaboration with our Design Team, Bassetti Architects, and our General Contractor/ Construction Manager, BNBuilders, we are on track to complete on time and on budget again.
Phase 2.2 Highlights:
- New north wing addition of the replacement facility:
- 2 story main classroom building
- Integrated Learning Support and small group rooms
- New Library with outdoor project area
- New playfields and equipment
- Separate bus and parent vehicle routes
- Additional parking
- Site improvements of existing grass play field, emergency vehicle access, neighborhood pedestrian connections and new stormwater management facilities
- Demolition of existing school facilities and removal of relocatable classrooms will occur before the site improvements commence
Edmonds School District Board of Directors and Capital Projects staff are committed to delivering the best possible facility through voter-approved construction levy funds and property revenue. We are excited to share this information with you and believe that the Phase 2 addition and final full replacement which follows the successful completion of Phase 1 will be a great asset to the Spruce students and community.
For additional information and construction photos/videos, visit the BNBuilder's Spruce Phase 2 Website and the BNBuilder's Spruce Phase 1 Website.
View a time-lapse camera of the construction site here: Spruce Elementary School Phase 2 OxBlue Construction Time-Lapse Camera in Lynnwood, WA
Watch a behind the scenes look at construction progress and a virtual tour: Welcome to Spruce Elementary
If you have any questions please contact Laura Bowers, Design & Construction Manager.
Phase 1: Looking Back
Edmonds School District opened Spruce Phase 1 in September 2019, thanks to a 2014 voter-approved Capital Construction Bond. Our team of Owners, Architects and Contractors worked diligently to complete the project on schedule and on budget.
In January 2017 the Edmonds School District Board of Directors approved the Spruce project be moved from a planned modernization to a full replacement. The District's Capital Projects Office oversaw the master planning and design of a total replacement for Spruce Elementary along with participation and input from Spruce staff, volunteer parents and the Spruce community. The new full replacement facility will be approximately 81,000 square feet with a two-story main classroom building and a one-story Gymnasium and Commons.
In June of 2017, the replacement of Spruce was split into two phases. Phase 1 construction commenced in June 2018 and completed in July 2019. Students and staff started use of the much needed new facilities in September of 2019.
At its February 26th, 2019 Board Meeting the Board of Directors approved the Project and Preliminary Budget Approval for Phase 2.1, Spruce Elementary School Phase 2 Addition and Replacement. This phase included the design completion for Spruce Phase 2 along with permit submittal to the City of Lynnwood, and creation of bid packages by BNBuilders; to be ready to start construction when funding for Phase 2.2 became available.
At its June 8th, 2021 Board meeting the Board of Directors approved the Guaranteed Maximum Price Amendment 2 allowing Phase 2.2 to begin. Planning for this phase has been ongoing since Phase 1 completion.
Phase 1 – Completion for school opening September 2019 Highlights:
- New south wing of the replacement facility:
- New gym/commons/stage
- New music room
- New kitchen
- New Learning Support offices / small group rooms
- New Community Room & Community Liaison office
- New heating, ventilation, mechanical, and electrical infrastructure for the entire replacement campus (phase 1 & 2)
- New Playground
- Additional parking
- Frontage improvements
- New stormwater management facilities & sanitary sewer
Phase 1 – Summer 2020 extended work Highlights:
- Purchase of residential property
- Site preparation for new school entry
- Temporary field
Phase 2.1 – Design Completion of Phase 2 North Wing Addition Highlights:
- Design Team and Preconstruction team work
- Permit submittal and permit review June – April 2021
- Constructability Review
- Bid package preparation
- Bidding March 29 – April 29th
Phase 2.2 Construction of Phase 2 North Wing Addition Highlights: – see details above.