Highly Capable/Gifted programs
Highly Capable/Gifted programs - What is it? Where do I find out more?
Posted on 10/02/2019
Is Your Student Highly Capable?
- Are they exceptionally curious?
- Do they come up with complex and abstract ideas?
- Does your student learn new ideas without instruction or direction?
- Do they ponder advanced questions with depth and from multiple perspectives?
- Does your student learn exceptionally quickly?
- Do they enjoy solving problems, especially with numbers and puzzles?
If you see most or all of these characteristics in your student, they may be Highly Capable!
Join us for a parent information session to find out more about the programs we offer as a district to help identify and support Highly Capable students.
Family Information Sessions:
- Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019 at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. – Edmonds School District Office, 20420 68th Ave W, Lynnwood
- Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019 at 7 p.m. – Terrace Park School, 5409 228th St SW, Mountlake Terrace
- Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019 at 6 p.m. – Brier Terrace Middle School, 22200 Brier Rd, Brier
Interpreter Service available at all sessions, please call 425-431-7157 to schedule.
Childcare for children 3+ and potty trained available at all sessions, please call 425-431-7157 to reserve a space.
The Highly Capable/Gifted Program for first through 6th grade elementary students is a self-contained full-time district program located at Terrace Park Elementary. The Gifted Middle School Program is housed at Brier Terrace Middle School and is a mix of self-contained and combined classes. These programs are for students who perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments. The Cognitive Abilities Test serves as one tool in the screening process for the program.
A parent, student, staff member, or a community member may recommend testing for any student. A referral with signed parent permission for testing must be received prior to testing. Forms are available on the Edmonds District website. Everyone that submits a referral will be given the opportunity to test on one of the specified test dates.