Welcome to Highly Capable and Gifted Altamente Capacitados y Superdotados
It is the policy of the Edmonds School District to provide optimum learning opportunities for all students including those who are gifted/highly capable. The Highly Capable Program is intended to provide support for students identified as requiring services beyond the normal learning environment to be successful. Highly capable students are identified following WA State Definition of Gifted Students:
WAC 392-170-035 Definition – Students Who Are Highly Capable
· Students who perform or show potential for performing significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments.
· Outstanding abilities are seen within students’ general intellectual aptitudes, specific academic abilities, and/or creative productivities within a specific domain.
WAC 392-170-036 Definition – Learning Characteristics
· Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations.
· Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers.
· Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts.
· Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength.
· Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus.
Edmonds School District Board Policy 7330-R states that efforts will be made to identify highly capable students from under-represented populations.
Different pace, complexity, and instruction are necessary for identified gifted/highly capable students to reach their full potential. Click on link to see Some Characteristics of Gifted Students Características de los estudiantes altamente capaces.
The office of K-12 Highly Capable Programs, the District Administrative Team, and the K-12 Highly Capable Committee provide a continuum of services for identified highly capable students. The K-12 Committee is composed of parents, teachers, administrators and other representatives.
More information about gifted education resources.
Last Modified on Sunday at 2:47 PM