from Beverly Elementary School
From the Desk of Ryan Henderson, Principal | January 7, 2013
Dear Beverly Families,
The other day I had a little friend come to visit my office first thing in the morning, even before the first bell. He was having a rough start to his day, and needed to “reboot” in order to get his day off on the right track. We had a good chat about how even adults need to restart their day sometimes and how we do that. When we were done, I leaned over and gave him a “side hug” on his way out. He whispered to me, so faint I could barely hear it, “Mr. H…Am I good?” It was a beautiful question, completely sincere. I was able to say to him, “Yes, you are very good.” His question made me smile, and it touched my heart. All of your children are good. They are all precious little people, and this question reminded me of how, perhaps, they need to hear more often just how precious they are, just how smart they are, just how unique they are. In light of the tragic events in Connecticut last month, let’s take that extra moment this week to appreciate each of the children in our care and to let them know that they are good… because they just may be wondering.
Happy new year to each of you! It’s going to be a busy winter and spring at Beverly, and I am excited about good things to come.
Read on for the latest from Beverly!
Beverly on the News
Beverly’s Safety Patrol (crossing guards) was featured on Tracy’s Little Traffic Buddies just before break. We are so proud of our Safety Patrol and were excited to see their smiling faces on the news! Coming soon this will be posted on the KING5 website.
Edmonds School District Transfers
Calling all Dads/Grandpas/Stepdads/Older Brothers/Uncles/Mom’s Boyfriends/Special Neighbors
If you are an important “guy” in the life of a Beverly student, please join us for our Donuts with Dads event on Tuesday, January 15th from 8-8:30 AM in the gym at Beverly – that’s next week! Come enjoy a treat with your child and learn about the Watch DOGS program and perhaps sign up to come spend a day at Beverly. For those of you who can’t make it to evening events, this event gives you a quick, fun, no-pressure chance to spend time at school with your special Beverly Big Dog. Important ladies in the lives of our students, please help spread the word to those important guys!
Make At School, On Time, Every Day Your Resolution
It’s not too late to make a new year’s resolution to have your child at school, on time, every day in 2013! We are working hard on improving our attendance and on-time arrival for each of our students, and appreciate your help. It takes a whole family working together to get students to school or to the bus on time, but it can happen! If you would like me to help be “the bad guy” by talking with your child about what they can do to help get themselves to school on time, just drop me a line and I’d be happy to help. I know that kids being dressed, shoes tied, backpack by the door, breakfast scarfed down all by 8:30 (or earlier) each morning is no small feat!
A Number to Know: 211
If you or someone you care about find yourselves aware of any homeless or soon-to-be homeless students or families, encourage them to call 211 to follow a process that will connect them with a “rapid rehousing” program and others which may be of assistance. They can also get connected to food banks, clothing, utility assistance, and other services and supports by calling 211 – think of it as a 911 for social services.
· Welcome to Mr. James Roy serving this winter as a fourth grade teacher in Room 20 in Mrs. Park’s absence. James is excited to teach here at Beverly and is already enjoying his fourth graders.
· We welcome Mrs. Wendy Alvarado as our Family Outreach Coordinator. Wendy’s grant-funded position is designed to help us in our efforts to reach ALL of our families and get them engaged positively with school. Wendy can be reached at email@example.com or at 425.431.2060. It’s easiest to reach her by phone on Mondays.
PTA Calendar Updates
· The Jan. 17 PTA General Membership Meeting has been cancelled.
· The Beverly Spelling Bee which was featured on the yearlong calendar has been cancelled.
· We have moved the Book Exchange event to Thursday, Feb. 21st. This is a popular Beverly event that you don’t want to miss – more details to come!
Upcoming Events – Save the Dates!
· 1/11 Movie Night in the gym at 6:30PM, Concessions open at 6PM. – ICE AGE 4 CONTINENTAL DRIFT
· 1/15 Donuts with Dad event 8-8:30 AM
· 1/21 No School, Martin Luther King Day
· 1/24 Early Release at 11:40
· 1/25 No School, staff development day
· 1/28-2/8 Our second Box Top contest for the year is Jan. 28th to Feb. 8. Prizes will be awarded for top classrooms!
Please be in touch if I can be of help to your child or your family. You can call me directly at the office at 425.431.7733 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.